Use Subtraction Engine to easily mute all notes on any given step of a MIDI pattern via any mappable MIDI controller to create compelling variations of your patterns while performing, or to experiment in the studio. Instantly disable or enable all steps with dedicated controls, or use the invert button to swap the mute state of all unlocked steps with a single gesture.
Subtraction Engine’s large Dice button randomises all eligible step states to instantly produce unique variations on a MIDI sequence. The Global Probability Amount slider governs the chance of step states flipping for all steps simultaneously — but step probabilities can also be controlled individually. By reducing a step’s probability to 0% you can lock it, thereby excluding it from randomisation for highly programmable control.
Enbabling Auto Dice mode allows you to create infinitely evolving permutations of any MIDI fed into Subtraction Engine, randomising all unlocked steps at the specified Interval, set in bars. This could be used to generate new melodic riffs at, for example, Intervals of 2 or 4, or to create continuous variations on percussion patterns (with locked steps perpetually exempt, of course). Adjust cycle settings to impose polymetric note gating on patterns of any length. Use the reset function to restart the cycle at a given interval also set in bars.
Optimized for Push with full automation labels and Info View annotation, Subtraction Engine is ready for high-level play straight away. Experiment, have fun, and capture results to new MIDI or Audio Clips by recording them to other tracks in Live.
HOW DOES SUBTRACTION ENGINE DIFFER FROM LIVE 11’S NOTE PROBABILITY?
- New step activation states can be generated automatically at specified intervals, for example creating a new variation every 2 bars, 4 bars, etc., producing continuous yet coherently phrased variations.
- Chords are toggled as a single unit — as opposed to Live 11’s probability, which treats all notes individually
- Shorter step activation cycles layered with longer MIDI phrases easily create dynamic yet hypnotic rhythmic patterns while adhering to the melodic contour of the original MIDI input
- All steps can be toggled on, off, or inverted simultaneously for highly engaging performance control
- Parameters are available for automation and MIDI or key mapping
- Works with Live 10 Suite
Includes: Subtraction Engine device, 16 presets, PDF user guide.
Note: Subtraction Engine does not produce MIDI notes — notes must be fed into it.
There are no reviews yet.