When we first released our original MIDI MultiClip Editor it was groundbreaking enough to just be able to select and change the velocities of notes across numerous MIDI clips at the same time. Then the MIDI Modulators feature requests started, mainly from people used to this feature in DAW’s other than Ableton Live.
We set about adding a range of MIDI Modulators so that the creative could quickly use the existing notes within a clip to create new rhythms and melodies. Now we’ve simplified things with this MIDI Modulators MaxforLive device.
Simply select any clip within Lives Session or Arrange View and then modify it with the handy shortcuts provided:
- Transform loop: Loops all or only selected notes. The time selection, which can be changed in the timeline, can be used to use as a reference. Pitch and velocity can be offset per iteration
- Transform stretch: Stretches all or selected notes by multiplying or dividing their positions and lengths to a custom value. The note lengths can be ignored.
- Quantize time: Quantizes all or selected notes to the current grid. Additionally to the default quantization note end positions or lengths (relative to start position) can be quantized as well. Amounts and rounding rules can be set to minimize quantization errors.
- Quantize scale: If a scale is active (settings) the pitch of all or selected notes will be quantized to fit the scale.
- Chord inversion: This modulator will go through chord inversions to get as close as possible to a custom MIDI pitch value. This also works with microtonal scales.
- Utility pitch limit: All or only the selected notes will be transposed (per octave by default) to fit into a custom pitch range. Microtonal scales are also supported.
- Utility velocity limit: Limits the velocity of all or selected notes to a custom range. Curve options are available as well.
- Utility seamless loop: Finds notes that are overlapping with the start and end positions of the clip or the time selection and copies them to the other side to create a seamless loop.
- Selection (Pitch / Velocity / Clip / Random): The Selection modulators will select or deselect notes. You can replace, add, subtract and intersect similar to picture manipulating applications.
Version 1.8.99 Multiclip and MIDI Modulators
– Performance improvements, mostly regarding the song position which is now being rendered as a seperate object.
– Added a velocity fade modulator, which scales the previously existing velocities to form a fade in or out effect instead of assigning brand new values. Use the time selection in the timebar to manually set the position and length of the fade.
– Modulators will now automatically preview. This feature is activated by default, but you can deactivate it in the settings and use a cmd click on the “apply” button to manually preview the modulators instead just like before.
– Small quality of life improvements such as support for keyboard with a number pad and the ability to use the delete key along with the backspace key.
Version 1.8.97 Multiclip – Released 6th April 2017
– Arpeggiator modulator has been added. More information about it can be found in the video – CLICK HERE
– Modulators that are using randomly generated numbers are now working with a seed that can be renewed manually.
– Join modulator has been added. It will let you combine notes together if the space between them is within a customizable threshold. The join tool in the tool bar will always connect the selected notes regardless of their positions and lengths.
– The Chord string modulator now includes an interleaved mode to apply the effect on multiple clips as if the notes were located on the same clip.
– Modulators will now get canceled when the window gets closed to prevent the notes in Live from not changing back to their original states.
– Small bugfixes and improvements.
DOWNLOAD – MIDI MODULATORS USER GUIDE