Pathways is a sample-based Max for Live instrument that allows users to draw paths (made of small points) for sample playback over a spectrogram interface.
The playback path (in blue) is based on which points were drawn first to last, allowing for all kinds of linear and nonlinear playback possibilities. It offers two playback modes that support a variable rate of playback (and freezing) without altering the pitch.
This opens up options for approaching time-stretching and filtering.
The position of a playhead on the spectrogram (orange lines) corresponds to the filtering and position of the sample that is being played by that voice. This gives users an intuitive understanding of a complex approach to playback.
DEVICE COMES WITH
- 68 presets (24 of which only work with Live 11+, the rest work with Live 10 and 11),
- 35 samples
- Basic drawing shape and transformation tools for drawing playback pathways
- Ability to draw multiple playback paths separated by tabs (up to 8 – Overall pitch transposition and gain – Independent settings and functions per path drawing including:
- Functions for naming, soloing, duplicating, clearing, and deleting a path
- Maximum number of voices (up to 12 per path)
- Trigger playback mode (automatically or with MIDI note input)
- Rate of starting playback for a new voice (in case of auto playback), with a randomization option
- Length of time it takes for a voice to play the whole drawn pathway, with a randomization option
- Play direction (in terms of following the pathway): forward, backward, forthback, backforth
- Randomize start position option
- Choose between the Y position of a playhead corresponding to the filter center or the panning
- 2 different playback modes: (FFT) Phase vocoder FFT based playback or (Grain) 3 short grains centered at the current playback position with a grain size option
- Pitch transposition and fine-tuning
- Panning with a randomization option
- Filter width, resonance and gain
PLEASE NOTE: Make sure you have the latest version of Live 10 or Live 11. If that doesn’t resolve things then download the latest version of Max/MSP from cycling74.com (you don’t need a license to download it), then in Live’s preferences, set max to that version and reset Live.
Sanja Steflitsch (verified owner) –
it has been said elsewhere, but I will say it here too.. Pathways is an innovative and fun sonic transformation tool offered at a charming price tag. You can’t go wrong. Dillon certainly is a M4L wizard!
Fabio Pirlo (verified owner) –
Really impressed. This M4L product can produce very interesting sounds. Everybody knows how much important is the sample you use in granular synthesis, but even using “dull” or “opaque” samples, the results can be stunning!