SONG:MODE LaunchPad Edition is so simple and effective it should become the mainstay of your Live performance. As your Live set naturally grows the navigation around it and keeping track of your songs starts to become a challenge of a multitude of button presses to locate and trigger your next song. With SONG:MODE your next song is literally one button press away.
Select the Song Mode LaunchPad script applicable to your controller in the Control Surface section of Lives preferences and assign the LaunchPad to its input and output. Then to activate SONG:MODE on the LaunchPad MKII & above, you simply press the User button (twice in the case of the LaunchPad MINI MKIII)
For Launchpad MK1, Mini and S, there’s no need to press anything, since the script works exclusively in SONG:MODE
On the top half of the pad matrix of your LaunchPad, you can select a SONG, and then the bottom half will display and launch the Scenes that belong to this SONG. The selected SONG will blink, the playing SONG and Scene will blink in Green.
To add a Scene to a specific SONG, you just need to add (SONG#) somewhere in the name of the Scene, where # is the song number. Eg. (SONG1), (SONG2),…
There are 3 ways to do that :
- – You can directly rename the Scene
- – You can select the Scene in Live, then hold the top right scene launch button and press the target SONG’s pad
- – You can use the Max For Live device (see below)
• Where supported by an RGB LaunchPad the pads take the Scene’s color; the first Scene will give its color to the SONG’s pad.
• The other Modes of the LaunchPad MKII & above are still available, simply press the any other Mode button to exit SONG:MODE*
Other buttons :
• If your Ableton Live set contains more than 32 Songs, the upper Up/Down arrows will let you navigate through the list, and if one Song contains more than 32 Scenes, you can scroll through it by using the upper Left/Right arrows.
• If you hold the bottom Scene Launch button you can select a Scene without launching it.
• If you hold the second Scene Launch button and press a Scene pad, the (SONG#) tag will be removed from its name, and thus, the Scene will be removed from the corresponding SONG.
• The fifth Scene Launch button activates the “Stop All Clips” button.
• The sixth Scene Launch button starts and stops Live’s playback.
Finally, you will find a MaxforLive device in your download that allows you rename Scenes quickly.
To rename a number of Scenes at the same time select the first scene with the mouse, hold down SHIFT on your keyboard and whilst held down select all of the other scenes in the song. Holding Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) will let you select non adjacent Scenes. You can then choose with the buttons on the device whether to Add, Rename or Remove the song numbers.
- The other modes of the original LaunchPad MKI, LAunchPad MINI and S are not available when using this script.
- LaunchPad MKII utilise the User Mode available and retain all other modes as usual.
- For Launchpad Mini MK3 & LaunchPad X, all modes are 100% available